Thursday, November 26

Thanksgiving

Okay, I have a chance to write about Thanksgiving because I am not working today and I am not watching TV and I am not playing video games and I am not farming or playing Mafia Wars (no commas intentional). It is another year, I can't believe I am 27, or however old I am, and I can't believe it is Thanksgiving again. As most of us young'uns have, I have spent most of my Thanksgivings with my parents and at home. Over the last couple of years Thanksgiving is the holiday we visit my mom in El Paso and the holiday I get to spend with my family.
It is weird, I am waking up and I am not smelling the smell of turkey, or I am not waking up early and stumbling to my mom's living room on her cold tile floor. It is definitely something I miss, it isn't just the turkey, but it is seeing my mom, grandma, sister, tias, and cousins. 
My family is a wild group, I sometimes can be loud and sometimes be the center of attention, but most of them make me look as quiet as a baby kitten (I know that is a little redundant). It is funny how my mom sometimes crowds like 20 people into her tiny kitchen. Thankfully since we all have been around each other for so long the chaos goes smoothly. 
Now the food is the other thing I miss. I am a very simple guy, I do not miss the gravy (I think she usually buys the gravy), I do not miss the stuffing (something my mom and her sisters go crazy over), and I do not miss the other crap. What I do miss is the turkey with chile con queso. I know for those of you who have not tried this is may sound gross or crazy. I like chile con queso on many things, but I think on turkey it is the best.   I am not sure exactly, but I think this will be my second year not having Thanksgiving at home. Thankfully Laura knows my need for chile con queso and she is making some for me today. The advantage I have is having better mashed potatoes, they are not exactly my mom's specialty. 
Erin will get to have another holiday here, but I really hope to make it a very regular thing to go there once a year or have my mom and sister come here to see her. Her family here (my in laws and my mother in law's parents) loves her very much, but Erin has so much other family that loves her. I want to make sure she knows them and they have the pleasure of being able to see her. 
What I am thankful for? I am thankful for Erin and Laura. I am thankful I have a job that I do not hate. I am thankful Erin and Laura are healthy. I am thankful for Modern Warfare 2. I am thankful for Gizmo. I am thankful for everything, I think if you are not thankful for something you have to change it and make it work for you, or change your perception of it. 
I hope everybody has their best Thanksgiving yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger